STUDENTS AGE 14 AND OLDER – DID YOU KNOW?
This is an opportunity for students who plan to apply for college admission, to earn community service hours.
During the school year, hours available are Monday to Wednesday 3:00 to 7:00 PM, Thursday 3:00 to 8:00 PM, Friday 3:00 – 6:00 PM and Saturdays 10:00 AM to 5:00 PM. Home Schoolers may volunteer during regular business hours. Summer hours expand to include shifts during regular business hours while school is out.
WHAT WE OFFER:
- Job related experience
- An opportunity to work with the public in a real world environment
- Verification of hours worked that may be used in certificate/portfolio/resume
What We Require:
- A commitment of at least 2 hours per week or 36 hours per school semester. Students may only work a maximum of 4 hours per day when working special events.
- Dependability. Please be punctual for your scheduled shift and call the library at 512-858-7825 if you are unable to work. Teens that are absent and have not notified the library will be noted as “absent without notification” on the volunteer schedule. More than 3 “absent without notification” will result in losing eligibility to volunteer that semester.
- Eligibility and extra-curricular activities. Volunteers participating in extracurricular activities must work at minimum of 2 out of 4 scheduled Saturdays during a month to remain active on the Saturday shift. Shifts can be made up by working a different shift day or doubling a Saturday shift. Staff must be notified of these schedule changes.
- Dress code: the library follows the prescribed DSISD campus dress code.
- Candidates will be required to attend a 2 hour orientation that includes library policy, handouts and a library tour and training. Volunteer schedules will be set at orientation and teens will earn 3 hours community service credit for attending orientation.
Teen application forms are available at the Dripping Springs Community Library, and may be printed out here.
For more information, please call the Volunteer Coordinator, Tammy Mierow at 512-858-7825 or email [email protected].
WHAT TEEN LIBRARY VOLUNTEERS DO:
If you enjoy libraries, books, learning new skills, and helping your community, we will do our best to find the right volunteer job for you. The Dripping Springs Community Library offers a wide variety of long-term and short-term opportunities, depending on the time of year. Training will be provided so no experience is needed. All it takes is a willingness to learn!
Shelving/Reading Shelves (Year-round)
After-school, Saturdays and increased shifts during June, July and August. Shelving is returning items to the shelves in correct order. Reading shelves is maintaining alpha and numeric order of the book collection.
Summer Event Assist (Date Driven Summer Only)
During June and July, teen volunteers assist the children’s librarian with special programs and events, including setup, crowd management and clean up.
Teen Reading Buddy Program (Mondays Summer Only)
During June and July, Teen Reading Buddies help incoming 1st, 2nd and 3rd graders maintain their reading skills in a relaxed one-on-one weekly reading time.
Apply online here or drop by the Dripping Springs Community Library and ask for a Teen Volunteer Application. Candidates will be interviewed, and if selected, will need to attend a two hour training session. They will then be placed on the regular volunteer schedule.
HAVE MORE QUESTIONS?
Contact Tammy Mierow([email protected]) for details on volunteering.